A beautiful struggle with ONE's self

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Revelation

The other day I was talking to a good friend of mine and they suggested an idea that I, myself, toyed with awhile back. Why don't you just move up here? Here meaning Chicago. That's not a bad idea,especially since there is nothing keeping me in Saint Louis. I am moving to Chicago. I'm moving to Chicago. WOW. It felt even better to say it aloud. Previously, I had thought about moving to New York, but I thought I'd better start off smaller and gradually make a move to New York, (I'm telling U, that's where I really belong!) My best friend lives in Chicago and a few mutual friends, and everyone is already excited about the possibility of me moving there, including myself.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous and scared about moving to Chicago, but this is something I MUST do and HAVE to do for myself and sanity. Fear and uncertainty has held me back long enough from my TRUE BLESSINGS. I know it's going to take alot of planning and organizing for me to execute this properly, which is why I have given myself a deadline of Spring 2007. I don't even know where to start, except to begin saving money NOW. But do I get an apartment first? Get a job first? Ask to room with some of my friends temporarily(but I'd rather NOT)? The only things I know for certain are that I would like to live in a nice neighborhood, preferably the northside and I really don't want a roommate. I am determined to make this happen. I really feel like I'm working towards an attainable goal.

I see alot of you all on here have made big moves from one place to another, any advice or tips?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely save money FIRST. Make sure you're going to have enough to live for at least three months comfortably including rent and utilities and then find a reasonable apartment. Once you've got that secured, then get you a job. Good luck to you!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would also suggest living with one of your friends. you may not want to, but it could save you ALOT of money in the long run. also if you'd like, you can also have some sort of binding legal document with your friend if you decide to go this route.

but that's great for you! i would be so out of santa barbara if i did not have to finish school here. good luck, i know you'll need it!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

 
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

I would recommend spending at least 3 weeks in the city living as you would be living. This will give you a chance to see how life in the city so that you would have a more informed opinion.

And another thing. Chicago is EXPENSIVE! I lived there and am not telling you a lie. Everything is expensive from gas to food, and especially housing. When I saw that I had to give up certain luxuries (central heat and air, washer/dryer, parking) to live in Chicago, I moved my ass back to Atlanta.

Take Karsh's advice and save 3 months of money to live on.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home