A beautiful struggle with ONE's self

Friday, April 07, 2006

Gay It Forward:TRANSAmerica


I haven't done one of these posts in awhile, but here we go. Yesterday, while at work (I work in a grocery store), I noticed a young woman come in. I took a quick glance at her and thought nothing of it, it's not like I was checking for her or something. About 5 minutes later the young woman began to walk in my direction and after closer inspection, I noticed her chiseled face and big veiny hands, I realized this young woman was actually a young MAN. About 30 minutes pass and the young woman/man reappears as she heads towards the exit, within 30 seconds of her leaving all my co workers began cackling and whispering, "Was that a boy or a girl?" It turns out she was a transvestite whom had apparently applied for a job at the store I work at and had just been interviewed for a position. My source tells me she actually had a good interview.

I couldn't help but think what would happen if she got hired. Would she come in as a boy or girl? How would she be treated by the other employees? How would the customers react to her? The store I work at is in a predominately white, middle class neighborhood. I personally wouldn't have a problem with her working there, who I am to judge anyone.


How would you feel working with a transvestite in a professional working environment?

4 Comments:

Blogger That Dude Right There said...

I wouldn't have a problem at all. You know that she's a transvestite. She knows that she is a transvestite. But hell, even transvestites have bills to pay!

Saturday, April 08, 2006

 
Blogger Absolutelee said...

I wouldn't have a problem with it either, and I have worked with trans women in a professional setting before. I don't know how the woman you're talking about identifies, but probably not as a transvestite if she came in for an interview as a female. She's probably transgender. I hope she gets the job, because so many trans women find it hard to get legal jobs, so they end up resorting to illegal activities because most work places don't know how to deal with them.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...as if they had some sort of disease perhaps?

remember discrimination is ILLEGAL in the workplace. but all told, i hope she gets treated decently

Monday, April 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I guess the chances of a crazy bigot leaving a comment on this are nil...I think MOST normal, golden-rule abiding folks wouldn't care if she got the job...if not actively campaigning for her to get hired. Personally, I don't see why it would bother anyone...as long as she isn't being inappropriate--and that would be the same for a white hetero male. No grab assing, no stealing, YOU'RE HIRED!

Friday, April 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home