A beautiful struggle with ONE's self

Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Look



It worked for awhile--until one day I walked into a gym and was smiled at by a tall, well-built man with a swinging dick. All he had to do was give me the look and I was ready to switch teams again.


I Say A Little Prayer
E. Lynn Harris



The other day while reading E. Lynn Harris' latest novel, I Say A Little Prayer, I became confused and then a little irritated. It wasn't because the book was bad, but because I kept wondering what this damn look was that Harris kept speaking about. The look that is code to other gay men to let the other know they are "family", down, Dl, gay, etc. This is not the first time I have heard about the look. I remember seeing J.L King on Oprah, when he discussed the DL and how in black churches men often give each other the look. What the hell does the look look like? Is it just a stare? I would assume giving the look to wrong person could lead to a beatdown.

After reading and thinking about the look, I decided to test out my version of the look at the club later on that night. Iarrived fashionably late at about 12 a.m. only to be told by the bouncer at the door that Timbs aren't allowed, but to my suprise, he finished his sentence with, "Since your so clean I'm gonna let u slide." See it pays to be a dope dresser. Me and my posse entered the club and found a spot to post at. I looked around at all the fine specimens walking around and I spotted him, my test dummy. He sported a bald head and wore a black button-up and jeans. He appeared to be alone. He looked familiar and I could have sworn I saw him on Adam4Adam. There are only like 150 men at a time in Saint Louis on Adam4Adam, so its pretty easy to remember faces. It was time to test out this "look". I glanced in his direction a few times, before I made eye contact with him, it was now or never. I squinted my eyes a bit and licked my lips and held my eye contact with him for about 3 secs and turned away. I kid you not, within a 5 minute time period he was standing right behind me. I looked over my shoulder at him and turned back around. I guess he got tired of standing there, because he was soon gone. I wasn't really trying to get to know him or anything, just wanted to see if he would respond to my advances and he did. Maybe this "look" thing has some truth to it.


6 Comments:

Blogger Cash S. said...

Hmmm, I might have to try that next time I go out.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger lj said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesnt know the look. No Gayday..you got to be a flaming queen for me to spot you.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

Well of course it's gonna work in a club. But try that shit out in public and people start asking you if you have something in your eye?

Thursday, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger 4GOTTEN1 said...

Damn I'm very familar with "The Look" It just stops you and catches your attention. I love when guys give "The Look". Oh and it does work outside of the club.

Friday, June 16, 2006

 
Blogger ShawnQt said...

I wish i could try this look, but I already have a man, lol...Im going to have Omar do it, he's always given these sexy eyes for no reason, lol.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 
Blogger Double 'A' Ron said...

I taught you the look... many years ago.

Friday, June 30, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home